Since its founding in 1982, Sonoma Valley Hospital Foundation has enabled the hospital to enhance medical services, expand health care and wellness programs, upgrade facilities, and offer services to patients who could not otherwise afford to pay for care. Established in 1957, the hospital operates as a 51-bed acute care facility under the auspices of the Sonoma Valley Health Care District, which was created in March 22, 1946, by community residents who saw a critical shortage of hospital beds in the State following World War II. Today, Sonoma Valley Hospital embraces the Healing Hospital model of care and offers services that encompass the whole spectrum of health care needs, underscoring its mission to “maintain, improve and restore the health of everyone in our community.”
The Foundation serves as the philanthropic arm of Sonoma Valley Hospital, cultivating community support and raising funds to assist the Hospital in its mission to maintain, improve and restore the health of everyone in our community.
Our Hospital relies mainly on reimbursements for services with support from a Parcel Tax. But it also counts on philanthropy dollars raised by the Foundation for capital equipment purchases, some facility improvements, and certain community health programs such as our mammography program for uninsured women and our cancer support program, both of which are funded by the Foundation.